Breeders' Cup Announces New Infield Festival, Taste of the Breeders' Cup: San Diego
SAN DIEGO (July 20, 2017) - Breeders’ Cup, one of Thoroughbred horseracing’s most prestigious international events, today announced Taste of Breeders’ Cup: San Diego, a unique culinary experience which will take place in the Del Mar racetrack infield during the 2017 Breeders’ Cup World Championships and will celebrate the signature fare that has solidified San Diego as one of the country’s top culinary destinations. The one-of-a-kind festival will take place on Friday, November 3 and Saturday, November 4 and will feature a variety of locally-inspired bites from more than twenty different chefs and food vendors.
“Over the past few years, Breeders’ Cup has established itself as an all-encompassing entertainment experience that features the best horse racing in the world,” says Craig Fravel, President and CEO of the Breeders’ Cup. “With 2017 marking the first year that the event will take place at Del Mar, we are especially focused on highlighting all of the culture and character that this special host site has to offer. We look forward to delivering on that commitment by providing our infield guests access to the best of local San Diego cuisine.”
Infield General Admission tickets are available for purchase at BreedersCup.com/Infield and are $35 for Friday and $50 for Saturday. All Breeders’ Cup ticket holders will have access to the infield to experience Taste of Breeders’ Cup: San Diego.
From Tex-Mex and seafood to gourmet salads and sandwiches, Taste of Breeders’ Cup: San Diego will feature a variety of culinary styles that speak to the vibrant Southern California food culture. Each booth will feature its own individual menu with a la carte pricing, details of which will be released closer to the event. The impressive line-up of vendors includes:
- Aqui es Texcoco: Inspired by the region of Mexico considered to be the birthplace of Lamb Barbecue, known as Barbacoa, Aqui es Texcoco has spent years developing and perfecting the restaurant’s signature technique.
- Big Front Door: A neighborhood deli offering in-house comfort-foods including roasted and smoked meats, sandwiches, salads, soups, cookies, and more.
- Corazon de Torta Guisados and Grills: One of San Diego’s most sought-after food trucks, Corazon de Torta offers a range of burritos, tacos, and its signature tortas, all of which resonate Mexican Abuelita Style cooking.
- Doggosgus:Doggos Gus serves Mexican bacon wrapped hot dogs, offering sonaran style hot dogs, with freshly made bolillo buns and many ingredients to chose from such as grilled onions, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, guacomole and chipotle.
- Gringas Tacos and Catering: From grilled marinated chicken to carne asada, this highly-revered catering company has long specialized in producing superior Mexican cuisine for its many loyal customers.
- iSALUD: A hip, casual Mexican eatery offers a menu of award-winning tacos, uniquely crafted cocktails, and a salsa bar.
- Mascarpone Cheesecake by Chef Turok: Chef Turok created his signature Mascarpone Cheesecake recipe after being inspire by his Chef Instructor at Le Cordon Bleu, which he graduated from in ’08 with Honors. From there, he went on to work with some of the great Chefs/restaurants in LA which include: Providence, Joe’s Restaurant on Abbot Kinney, Hatfield’s, Monsieur Marcel, CASA, and did stints for Spago/Wolfgang Puck Catering.
- Poseidon Restaurant: A local favorite and coastal landmark, Poseidon is renowned for the restaurant’s creative recipes centered on seafood, meats, produce, and pastas.
- Puesto: A celebration of fundamental Mexican flavors, Puesto’s fresh take on tacos utilizes only the most authentic ingredients, including handmade maiz azul stone-ground tortillas, sustainable meats and seafoods, slow-cooked guisados, and innovative salsas.
- Red Wagon Pizza San Diego: Home of the West Coast's first gas fired 700 degree brick oven! Red Wagon's custom built ovens come all the way from New Haven, Connecticut where their sister company started firing up pies back in 2002! Their one of a kind ovens keep a constant temperature of 700 degrees producing perfect pizza consistency.
- Sabor Piri-Piri:Sabor Piri-Piri is here to make you some delicious Vegetarian/Vegan and Sea Food dishes. Inspired by Mozambican cuisine with lots of flavors and spices.
- TakobarSD: Offering some of the freshest tacos in the city, TakobarSD is one of San Diego’s most popular food trucks amongst locals and visitors alike.
- Tavern & Bowl:Tasty menu. 50 HD flat-screens and alumni packages to satisfy even the toughest armchair quarterback. Eight awesome fast bowling lanes. And a crowd that’s just hungry for fun.
- Teriyaki Grill:Top rated teriyaki grill for a little trip off the beaten path! Excellent service, excellent food, very clean and casual.
- The Duck Dive :The Duck Dive is a bar and restaurant offering creative cocktails and a diverse cuisine. It's located steps from the ocean in Pacific Beach and offers the authentic surf vibe but in a modern, classy atmosphere.
- The Gumbo Pot:The Gumbo Pot menu specializes in regional cuisine of the American South, including New Orleans Creole dishes, barbeque, soul food and traditional southern foods. The Gumbo Pot is also dedicated to exploring the rich traditions and culinary heritage of the African diaspora, including foods from the Caribbean, Brazil, Latin America and West Africa.
- Torpasta DBA Devine Pastabilities:To understand how this business idea came about, I must tell a short story. When I was in fourth grade I loved spaghetti sandwiches. The problem was they were very messy, and the majority of the pasta would slip out of the sandwich. One day, the school cafeteria served spaghetti with a bread roll. I decided to poke a hole in the roll, hollowed out the insides and filled it with spaghetti. It was a success!!!! I had created a spaghetti sandwich with no mess, and every noodle remained in the roll. Since then I have perfected the ingredients, creating the world’s best hot torpedo sandwich with excellent pasta dishes inside. This sandwich idea has inspired me to start my own restaurant and catering business, Devine Pastabilities.
- Tower 13: A popular beach and sports bar serving an extensive menu including award winning tacos, Unique cocktails, wine and local beers.
During the two-day festival, guests will enjoy picnic style seating throughout the Infield, allowing for a variety of views of the setting that has long been dubbed the place “where the turf meets the surf.” Additionally, there will be a large bar with covered seating featuring a selection of signature cocktails, craft beers, and premium wine offerings. Video boards for viewing the races and betting windows will ensure that fans do not miss out on any of the event’s world-class horseracing.
For more information on Taste of Breeders’ Cup: San Diego visit BreedersCup.com/Infield.
About Breeders’ Cup
The Breeders’ Cup administers the Breeders’ Cup World Championships, Thoroughbred racing’s year-end Championships. The Breeders’ Cup also administers the Breeders’ Cup Challenge qualifying series, which provides automatic starting positions into the Championships races. The 2017 Breeders’ Cup World Championships, consisting of 13 Grade I races with purses and awards totaling more than $28 million, will be held November 3-4 at the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club in Del Mar, Calif., and will be televised live by the NBC Sports Group. The Breeders’ Cup culminates with the $6 million Breeders’ Cup Classic, which was rated No. 1 in the world in the final 2016 Longines World’s Best Horse Race rankings. Breeders’ Cup press releases appear on the Breeders’ Cup Web site, www.breederscup.com. You can also follow the Breeders’ Cup on social media platforms, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube.
- November 10, 2017
Breeders' Cup Completes Unprecedented Pre- And Post-Race Testing Program for 2017 World Championships
195 Horses Tested Since August
- November 6, 2017
$25 Million On-Track Handle Sets Breeders’ Cup Record
- November 4, 2017
What was supposed to be an epic duel between Arrogate and Gun Runner turned into a tour de force for Gun Runner as he set blistering fractions through every call and then pulled away in the stretch to record a 2 ¼-length victory in the $6 million Breeders’ Cup Classic.