Ten Things You Should Know: Summit of Speed
1) The Summit of Speed at Calder Race Course in Miami, Florida currently comprises four graded sprint stakes.
2) The graded stakes on the Summit of Speed lineup includes the Grade 3 Azalea Stakes for 3-year-old fillies, the Grade 3 Carry Back Stakes for 3-year-olds, the Grade 2 Smile Sprint for 3-year-olds and up, and Grade 1 Princess Rooney Handicap for fillies and mares 3-years-old and up. The Smile Sprint is part of the Breeders’ Cup Challenge series, the winner qualifies for the Breeders’ Cup Sprint.
3) The four races that make up the Summit of Speed card were run prior to the inaugural Summit in 2000. The Azalea and Carry Back have been on the Calder schedule since 1975. The Smile and Princess Rooney were inaugurated in 1984 and 1985.
4) The first Summit of Speed in 2000 offered over $1 million in purses. The wagering handle for the first Summit broke the Calder Race Course record, with over $8 million bet on the 12-race card.
5) In 2000, Caller One won the Carry Back Stakes. He went on to win the next two editions of the Dubai Golden Shaheen on Dubai World Cup night.
- November 30, 2018
Final episode of Breeders’ Cup’s original docuseries to offer never-before-seen footage of week leading up to Breeders’ Cup Classic
- November 20, 2018
Gran Premio International Carlos Pellegrini Stakes in Argentina to be First Breeders' Cup Challenge Race of 2019 Series
The Breeders’ Cup, in conjunction with Hipodromo San Isidro, today announced that next month’s Gran Premio International Carlos Pellegrini (G1), South America’s most prestigious race, will be the first qualifying “Win and You’re In” event of the 2019 Breeders’ Cup Challenge Series.
- November 16, 2018
Godolphin Wins John Deere Award Honoring Outstanding Breeders of the Breeders’ Cup Challenge Series and World Championships
Bolstered by Breeders’ Cup Challenge victories from Alizee (AUS), Fine Needle (JPN), Royal Marine (IRE) and Wild Illusion (GB), Godolphin, one of the world’s most successful Thoroughbred racing and breeding operations, has won the John Deere Award as the outstanding breeder of the 2018 Breeders’ Cup Challenge Series and the Breeders’ Cup World Championships.