Hosted by Celebrated Chef & Breeders’ Cup Ambassador Bobby Flay
Sponsored by Jackson Family Wines, Napa Valley Vintners & Tito’s Handmade Vodka
What: “A Taste of the World” is a celebration of global cuisines during the 30th running of the Breeders’ Cup World Championships, and returns for a second year to the beautiful lawns of the Huntington Library on November 1. This invite-only event for Breeders’ Cup participants and VIPs will be hosted by Breeders’ Cup Ambassador and acclaimed chef Bobby Flay. 16 talented and highly esteemed chefs from around the world will create gourmet bites representing a variety of international cuisines. Napa Valley Vintners and Jackson Family Wines will be pairing selections of their fine wines based on flavor profile and the culinary region, and Tito’s Handmade Vodka will have local mixologists on hand to craft cocktails that complement the chefs’ dishes and style. Additionally, Stella Artois will have a dedicated pouring station offering their Stella Artois, Leffe Blonde and Hoegaarden beers.
The Breeders’ Cup, which takes places November 1-2 at Santa Anita Park, has become the culmination of the thoroughbred-racing season, and attracts the best horses, trainers and owners from across the globe. “A Taste of the World” has become a must-attend soiree for jockeys, trainers, owners and Breeders’ Cup VIPs to relax after the races, and embrace the various cultures represented in what is widely recognized as the premier event in international horse racing.
General admission tickets to the Breeders’ Cup can still be purchased at www.breederscup.com and the event will be televised live on the NBC Sports Network and NBC.
- Host Chef Bobby Flay (Mesa Grill, Las Vegas) with Raw Tuna with Hot Red Pepper, Scorched Pineapple and Coconut Lime Sauce paired with a Mumm Napa Valley Brut Reserve Rosé
- Masaharu Morimoto (Morimoto, Napa) representing Japan with Yellowtail Taco with Guacamole, Tomato and Micro Cilantro and paired with a Trefethen Family Vineyards 2012 Napa Valley Dry Riesling.
- Norah Briceño (Mil Jugos, Santa Ana, CA) representing Venezuela with Empanadas Venezolanas, and Tostones con Carne Mechada, Pollo y Camarones paired with Bello Family Vineyards 2006 and 2009 Napa Valley Megahertz Cabernet Sauvignon.
- John Sedlar (Rivera, Los Angeles) representing Argentina with Autumn Corn Flan, Savory Corn Custard with Asparagus and paired with a Jackson Family Wines Pago Cimera 2008 Reserva Malbec from Mendoza, Argentina.
- Casey Lane (The Tasting Kitchen, Venice, CA) representing the United Kingdom with Pork Liver Terrine en Croûte and paired with Red Mare Wines 2012 Napa Valley Red Mare Sauvignon Blanc, and a 2010 Napa Valley Red Mare Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Susur Lee (Lee Restaurant, Toronto) representing Canada with Duck Confit Taco with Goat Cheese, Braised Onion and Yuzu and paired with Blackbird Vineyards 2012 Napa Valley Arriviste Rosé and 2012 Napa Valley Arise Red Blend.
- Bernhard Mairinger (BierBeisl, Beverly Hills) representing Germany with Mini Bratwurst in Pretzel Roll with Sauerkraut and Tarragon Mustard and paired with a Jackson Family Wines Carmel Road 2012 “Liberated” Riesling from Monterey, CA.
- Lincoln Davies (Tuck Shop, New York City) representing Australia with Grilled Lamb Chops with Feta, Oregano & Sun Dried Tomatoes and paired with a Jackson Family Wines Yangarra Estate 2011 Shiraz from McLaren Vale, Australia.
- Raymond England (Craft, Los Angeles) representing the USA with Barbeque Pork Belly and Butter Beans and Apple Pie with Landaff Cheese and paired with the Trifecta Cocktail, created by Cinco’s Blake Landis and made with Tito’s Handmade Vodka, Cucumber, Lime, Agave Syrup and Beet Horseradish and garnished with Pickled Baby Pearl Onions.
- Matt Lambert (The Musket Room, New York City) sponsored by Ōra King representing New Zealand with Ōra King Salmon with Apple and Wasabi and paired with a Jackson Family Wines Long Boat 2011 Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough, New Zealand.
- Anthony Lamas (Seviche, A Latin Restaurant, Louisville, KY) representing Chile with Chilean Style Ceviche with Grapefruit, Red Chile and Mint and paired with a Jackson Family Wines Vina Calina Reserve 2011 Chardonnay from Maule Valley, Chile.
- Ed Cooney & Maurice Keller (Good Food Ireland, Ireland’s Best Food & Travel Experience), sponsored by Coolmore and Tourism Ireland, representing Ireland with Tian of Clare Island Organic Irish Salmon and paired with a Saintsbury 2012 Napa Valley Pinot Noir Rosé and 2010 Napa Valley Pinot Noir.
- Jeffrey Strauss (Pamplemousse Grille, Solana Beach, CA) representing France with Boudin Blanc de Poisson, Leek Fondue, Caviar Pepper Beurre Blanc and paired with a Jackson Family Wines Freemark Abbey 2012 Viognier.
- Fernando Darin (Los Angeles) representing Brazil with Vatapá de Costela, Beef Short Ribs with Cashew Cream and paired with an Ackerman Family Vineyards 2005 and 2008 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Michel Chammaa (El Amir Lebanese Restaurant, Valley Village, CA) representing UAE with Falafel Balls with Tahini Sauce and paired with the Front Rrunner Cocktail, created by Eat Your Drink’s Matthew Biancaniello and made with Tito's Handmade Vodka, Ginger Sesame Simple Syrup and Lemon Juice, and garnished with Candied Ginger with a hint of Cayenne Sea Salt.
- Graham Perkett (Deli-SA, San Diego) representing South Africa with Boboti, a traditional South African Sweet & Spicy “Pie” of Ground Beef, Apricots, Raisins and Walnuts, and a Tipsy Tart made with Date and Walnut Brandy Cake with Hot Custard and paired with a Rombauer Vineyards 2012 Napa Valley Carneros Chardonnay, 2011 Napa Valley Zinfandel, 2010 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon and 2009 Napa Valley Merlot.
To download bios and photos of all the chefs, please visit HERE.
Where: Huntington Library, East Lawn
1151 Oxford Road
San Marino, CA 91108
When: November 1, 2013
5:00pm - 9:30pm