Twelve Things to Know About the 2018 Shadwell Turf Mile
Courtesy of Christina Moore of America's Best Racing
In recent years, the Shadwell Turf Mile Stakes has become one of the most important prep races for the Breeders’ Cup Mile. The Keeneland fall meet staple offers not only a hefty purse but the winner gets an expenses-paid berth into the Breeders’ Cup Mile on Nov. 3 at Churchill Downs, enough incentive to attract a competitive field for Saturday’s race.
Get ready for this year’s race with the 12 fun facts below.
1. This year is the 33rd edition of the race, which has been sponsored by Shadwell Stable since 1999. It was previously known as the Keeneland Breeders’ Cup Mile.
2. Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin has a record three wins in the race, conditioning Dumaani to wins in 1995 and ’96 and Altibr in 2000. Seven other trainers have two wins apiece.
3. The Turf Mile hasn’t always been run at a mile. It was first contested at 1 1/8 miles until being shortened to a mile in 1994.
4. After starting with a $50,000 purse in 1986, this year the race will carry a $1 million purse for the fifth straight year. The winner gets $600,000 of that.
8. The Shadwell Turf Mile betting favorite has had a 28 percent success rate, winning the race nine times in 32 editions.
9. Miss Temple City is the only filly to win the race. She defeated 10 males in 2016.
10. Two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan is one of three horses to have won the Shadwell more than once. He won it in 2012 and 2014, Gio Ponti in 2010-11, and Dumaani in 1995-96.
11. Robby Albarado has won four editions of the race, more than any other jockey. He rode the winner in 2013 (Silver Max), 2009 (Court Vision), 2008 (Thorn Song), and 2004 (Nothing to Lose).
12. In 2017 French-bred Suedois was the first foreign-bred horse to win the race since 2005, becoming the seventh foreign-bred horse to win overall. This year three are expected to be among the field: British-bred Almanaar and Forge and Irish-bred Great Wide Open.
- September 25, 2021
Royal Patronage Scores in Juddmonte Royal Lodge Stakes and Earns Automatic Berth into Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf
Highclere Thoroughbred Racing’s Royal Patronage (FR) landed a thrilling Juddmonte Royal Lodge Stakes (G2) at Newmarket, securing his guaranteed start in the US$1 million Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf.
- September 24, 2021
This is the fourth of eight weekly news releases focusing on the horses and races leading to the 38th Breeders’ Cup World Championships on Friday, Nov. 5 and Saturday, Nov. 6 at Del Mar.
- September 24, 2021
Masekela Heads to Newmarket for Juddmonte Royal Lodge Stakes and Automatic Berth into Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf
Mick and Janice Mariscotti’s Masekela (IRE) heads a field of seven in Saturday’s Juddmonte Royal Lodge Stakes (G2) at Newmarket.