2021 BREEDERS' CUP BETTING CHALLENGE
NOVEMBER 5 & 6, 2021
1. PLAYER'S BANKROLL: The 2021 Breeders’ Cup Betting Challenge (the “Tournament” or “BCBC”) is a "real money" handicapping challenge. Players will be required to deposit $10,000, of which $7,500 will be the players’ bankroll (the “Bankroll”) for wagering during the Tournament. The $2,500 balance will be used for the prize pool as set forth in Section 4. At the conclusion of the Tournament, any dollar amount remaining in the Bankroll — whether it grows to $100,000 or falls to $100 — remains the property of the player.
2. TO ENTER: Please register at www.Breederscup.com/BCBC Participants who want to play the BCBC from home -may need to register for the tournament online when site(s) are prepared to receive registrations in the near future.
3. FORMAT: Tournament races will include ALL live races from Del Mar on Friday, November 5, 2021 and live races through the Breeders’ Cup Classic (the “Classic”) on Saturday, November 6, 2021. Tournament races include the Breeders’ Cup Championship races and all the undercard races prior to the Classic; Tournament races are not limited to only the Breeders' Cup Championships races. The Tournament will end on Saturday, November 6, 2021 with the Classic. Wager types permitted are Win, Place, Show, Exacta, Trifecta and Daily Double only. Please note: Special Two-Day Doubles are not part of the tournament and wagers are not permitted on these doubles. To avoid penalty, players must comply with the minimum wagering requirements set forth herein. Notwithstanding the foregoing, players may bet more than the minimum requirements at any time during the Tournament but are still required to meet the betting minimums set forth herein.
By the end of Friday, November 5, 2021, a minimum of $600 must be wagered per race on a minimum of three (3) of the five (5) Breeders’ Cup Championship races occurring on Friday, November 5, 2021. By the end of Saturday, November 6, 2021, a minimum of $600 must be wagered per race on a minimum of seven (7) of the nine (9) Breeders’ Cup Championship races occurring on Saturday, November 6, 2021. If a player makes all but one (1) of the required minimum $600 wagers (three (3) of the five (5) Friday Breeder’ Cup Championship races and seven (7) of the nine (9) Saturday Breeders’ Cup Championship races), Ten Thousand (10,000) points will be deducted from the player’s total score. If a player fails to make two (2) or more of the required minimum $600 wagers over the entire two days (three (3) of the five (5) Friday Breeder’ Cup Championship races and seven (7) of the nine (9) Saturday Breeders’ Cup Championship races), the player will be disqualified from the BCBC but permitted to keep the player’s remaining Bankroll. In addition, if a player fails to wager a minimum of $7,500 over the two days of Breeders’ Cup World Championship Races, the player will be disqualified. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the failure to either (1) wager the minimum number of races at $600 per race (as set forth above) or (2) wager the $7,500 total minimum wager over the two days will result in disqualification unless the tournament official determines in his sole discretion that outside factors affected the player’s ability to wager the minimum amount.
No simulcast races from other venues may be the subject of wagers within the Tournament. There are no caps on payouts. The player with the highest score, (which is calculated by taking the player’s total Bankroll plus any applicable tax withholdings less any applied penalties) after the Classic on Saturday, November 6th is the Grand Prize winner. If there is a tie between players, see Section 9 below.
4. ESTIMATED PRIZES: Of the $10,000 buy-in, $2,500 will be placed in a separate prize pool and the remaining $7,500 will be the player’s beginning Bankroll. For example, if 400 players enter the Tournament, the cash prize pool will be $1,000,000.
The estimated prize pool based on 400 players is as follows: Should the actual number of entries differ from 400, the actual prize money awarded to each of the top 15 will be adjusted proportionally.
|1st Place = $300,000||6th Place = $50,000||11th Place = $20,000|
|2nd Place = $200,000||7th Place = $40,000||12th Place = $17,500|
|3rd Place = $110,000||8th Place = $35,000||13th Place = $15,000|
|4th Place = $75,000||9th Place = $30,000||14th Place = $12,500|
|5th Place = $60,000||10th Place = $25,000||15th Place = $10,000|
In addition to cash prizes, berths to the National Horseplayers Championship (“NHC”) will be awarded to the top fifteen (15) finishers in the Tournament. A hotel stay (up to $700) will be covered for the National Thoroughbred Racing Association event or upgraded for those already qualified. If for any reason one of the top fifteen (15) official finishers cannot attend or has already dual-qualified for the NHC, the next highest placing contestant will receive the NHC berth. Only fifteen (15) NHC spots will be awarded. Depending on a particular situation, Del Mar and Breeders' Cup may assign an alternate qualifier.. NHC TOUR POINTS: This is an official NHC Tour event. Per the NHC, NHC Tour points will be awarded in accordance with the official 2021 NHC Tour rules which can be found at www.nhctour.com. Players must be 2021 Tour members to earn Tour points. If a BCBC participant is not already a 2021 NHC Tour member at the time of the Tournament, Breeders’ Cup will provide payment for the participant’s 2021 NHC Tour membership as a result of the player’s participation in the BCBC.
5. PLAYER CARDS: Each participant at a live venue will be issued a player card to be used to make all Tournament wagers. This account-wagering card contains the "real money" bankroll of $7,500. Upon receipt, participants should test the card in self-service machines (or as directed at satellite locations) to become familiar with placing wagers and ensure the card is working properly. If a player loses his/her card or the card is not working, the player is responsible for immediately reporting the issue to Tournament officials so they may resolve the problem. Players must make only Tournament wagers on this card. Each participant online will not be issued a player card by the ADW but instead an account and password for Tournament play.
6. PLACING WAGERS: All BCBC wagers may be placed through any self-service machines throughout Del Mar (each satellite location wagering procedure may vary). Wagers will not be accepted through mutuel tellers at Del Mar but there are numerous self-betting machines located throughout the facility. There is no requirement for BCBC participants to play in the BCBC from a designated location at Del Mar. Players must place all wagers personally. No person shall directly or indirectly act as an intermediary, transmitter or agent in placing wagers for the player, unless authorized by Tournament officials. ADW online participants will place wagers through their assigned BCBC tournament account as directed by the respective ADW.
All official track rulings will apply to wagers placed in the Tournament except as otherwise stipulated. The Tournament will be based on the official placement and mutuel prices at Del Mar.
It is the player’s responsibility to check all mutuel tickets.
7. TAX WITHHOLDING: Any and all wagers are subject to applicable IRS and CA tax withholdings. Only the net amount of a winning wager subject to withholdings (the amount the player received after the IRS holding) will be available to the player for further wagering in the player’s Bankroll; however, the gross amount of such winning wager will be recorded in the player’s score.
8. SCRATCHES: If a horse is scratched after a wager is placed, it is the player's responsibility to change his/her selection prior to the race subject to all other Tournament wagering rules. In the event a player is not able to change his/her selection due to a gate scratch or (within 5 minutes to post) which prohibits the player from wagering on the minimum number of races on Friday, November 5, 2021 or Saturday, November 6, 2020, the player will not be assessed a penalty for such particular action (but still may be subject to penalties in the future) for falling short of the Tournament wagering rules assuming he/she had placed wagers on the specific scratched horse and those wagers would have surpassed minimum per race requirements. In addition, no Tournament penalties will be assessed on player wagers involving any horses ruled as non-starters by stewards. Notwithstanding the foregoing, in the event a player wagered on such scratched horse or non-starter as set forth above but can still meet the minimum race wagering requirements by wagering on future Breeders’ Cup races, such player is required to wager on the additional Breeders’ Cup races to meet the minimum wagering requirements or otherwise such player will be subject to the penalties set forth in Section 3 hereof.
9. TIES: In the result of a tie for a cash prize placing or if there is a tie for fifteenth place in the Tournament and final NHC Championship berth, the player with the most money earned in the Classic (final BCBC race) on Saturday, November 6, 2021 will be declared the winner. If there is still a tie, the most money earned in the second to last race of the Tournament on Saturday, November 7, 2021 will determine the winner. If there is still a tie, the most money earned in the third to last race of the Tournament on Saturday, November 6, 2021 will determine the winner and each race thereafter until there is no longer a tie.
10. TOURNAMENT STANDINGS: Officials will endeavor to post the unofficial standings on TV monitors throughout Del Mar and/ supply a link to real-time standings/scoring to all BCBC participants playing from Del Mar, satellite locations and online ADWs after each race of the Tournament on Friday and Saturday, November 5-6, 2021. Issues related to IRS withholding, late scratches or other matters could either (i) delay the posting of those scores or (ii) cause inaccurate scores to be posted. All standings are unofficial until the final results are audited and posted. Players are encouraged to maintain an accurate record of their wagers and scoring.
11. AGE INELIGIBILITY / DISCLOSURE: Players must be at least 18 years of age to participate in the Tournament. Players must be at least 21 years of age to participate in the 2021 NHC in Las Vegas. If a player will not be 21 years of age by the start of the 2021 NHC, the next highest BCBC finisher (alternate) will take his/her place at the NHC. The following are ineligible to participate in this contest: (i) licensed trainers and (ii) employees of Breeders’ Cup Limited, National Thoroughbred Racing Association, United Tote, AmTote, Sportech, Gulfstream Park, Monmouth Park, Santa Anita, Xpressbet.com, TVG.com, NYRABets.com or employees of any other ADW or brick-and-mortar location that participates as a BCBC provider.
If any player has ownership interest in a horse(s) running in any Tournament races, then all involvements must be fully disclosed in advance to Tournament officials. If a player has an ownership interest in a specific race, he/she can choose to bypass that race (not wager on that race) as part of the Tournament; however, the player would still need to reach the minimum number of races by the end of the Tournament or will be assessed a penalty as stated above. Players may also choose to wager on the specific race in which they have an ownership interest. If they choose to wager, then they must only wager on their horse in the win position when placing a WPS pool wager or “on top only” when wagering in the exacta, trifectas or daily double pools. No “box” tickets are permitted.
12. TAXES: Liability for any and all federal, state, and local taxes is solely the responsibility of prize winners.
13. AFFIDAVITS: Affidavits confirming compliance with all the rules of this Tournament will be required of all players. All prizewinners acknowledge that if they enter this Tournament under a fraudulent name and/or Social Security number, they will be immediately disqualified from this and all future Tournaments held by Del Mar. Positive identification is required of all prizewinners. Positive identification is a valid government issued ID with a picture and the same address and birth date used on the entry forms, and/or such other form of identification as deemed adequate by contest officials or ADW provider. Social Security information is also the responsibility of the player. Contestants shall play a maximum of two entries. Collusion of entries between horse players is prohibited, as is any attempt to manipulate the results of the Tournament. All players must make his or her own final selection independently of every other player in the contest. Participants in the contest are prohibited from coordinating their play with other players, such as (1) sharing the risk of losing amongst different entries of different players and (2) playing the same picks across entries amongst different players and coordinating wagers across different players. All players must make his or her own final selection independently of every other player in the contest. If Del Mar or Breeders’ Cup determines, in their sole discretion, that collusion occurred, the participating player will be disqualified. If Del Mar or Breeders’ Cup concludes, in their sole discretion: (1) a player engaged in or attempted to engage in any act that compromises or could compromise the competitive integrity of the BCBC; (2) tampered with or attempted to tamper with the betting process and/or operation of the BCBC or any player; (3) acted in an unsportsmanlike manner or with the intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, coerce or harass any other player, then such player will be disqualified.
Players with multiple entries are permitted to play the entries in their own names in any way they wish.
14. WAGERING DATA. Each player permits and licenses to Breeders’ Cup Limited and its assignees the player’s likeness and images, pictures, photos, video, names and specific wagers made during the BCBC for promotional and other purposes. Breeders’ Cup Limited intends to publish the wagers of each player following the conclusion of the Tournament.
15. JUDGING AND DISPUTES. The management of Del Mar and Breeders' Cup Limited reserve the right to interpret all questions and conditions in regard to this Tournament, without claim for damages or recourse of any kind. The management of Del Mar and Breeders' Cup will decide all questions and definitions covered and not covered explicitly in these rules and their decisions shall be final. By participating in the BCBC, all players agree to Del Mar’s and Breeders’ Cup’s authority to make any and all such decisions.
16. Force Majeure. Del Mar and Breeders’ Cup shall not be liable to any player, or any third party, for failure to run, or a delay in the running of, any races, or in the event any equipment, service, or transmission cannot be provided by Del Mar and Breeders’ Cup or their respective contractors or sub-contractors due to an act of God, fire, epidemic, casualty, act or decision of a governmental authority, injunction, technical difficulties, failure of satellite or other communications, electrical, telephone or other power transmission lines or facilities, boycott, strike or labor dispute, or any similar or dissimilar cause beyond the control of Del Mar or Breeders’ Cup. In the event of such occurrence(s), Del Mar and Breeders’ Cup may terminate this Tournament or suspend and defer its performance of same without incurring any further obligation or liability to player or any third party whose claims are predicated upon the running of, or entry into, the BCBC. Breeders’ Cup is not responsible for lost, interrupted, incomplete, inaccurate or incorrect capture of betting information or for computer, telephone, cable, network, electronic or internet hardware or software malfunctions, failures, connections, availability or jumbled transmissions, service provider accessibility or availability or unauthorized human intervention.
17. Severability. Any provision hereof prohibited by, or unlawful, or unenforceable under any applicable law of any jurisdiction shall as to such jurisdiction be ineffective without affecting any other provision or enforcement of these Rules. Additionally, the unenforceability of any provision in one jurisdiction shall not affect the validity or enforcement of such provision in any other jurisdiction.
18. No Third Party Beneficiaries/Assignment. The provisions of these Rules are not intended to be for the benefit of, or enforceable by, any party other than Del Mar Breeders’ Cup and the player. Except for Del Mar, Breeders’ Cup, and the player, no party shall have any right to rely upon or enforce any of the terms and provisions of these Rules. Player shall not assign any rights contained herein.
19. Waiver; Remedies. The failure by one party to require performance of any provision of these Rules shall not affect that party’s right to require performance at any time thereafter, nor shall a waiver by one party of a breach by the other party be considered a waiver of any or all subsequent breaches by the breaching party. All rights and remedies provided in these Rules are cumulative and not exclusive of any other rights or remedies that may be available to the parties, whether provided by law, equity, statute, in any other agreement between the parties, or otherwise.
20. Applicable Law. These Rules, including all matters of construction, validity, and performance, shall be governed, construed, and enforced in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Venue of any action arising out of these Rules shall reside in the Fayette County, Kentucky court system.
21. ODS Technologies, L.P. d/b/a TVG Network is not a sponsor of the BCBC.