The Breeders’ Cup today announced it has selected The V Foundation for Cancer Research as its primary non-profit beneficiary for the 28th running of the Breeders’ Cup World Championships, to be held November 4-5 at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Ky. The V Foundation has been the primary non-profit beneficiary of the Breeders’ Cup World Championships since 2009. During the past two years, the Breeders’ Cup has raised more than $350,000 through donations to The V Foundation, an organization founded by ESPN and the late Jim Valvano in 1993.
In addition to The V Foundation, the Breeders’ Cup will continue to raise funds and awareness for equine-related charities it has supported since its inception in 1984.
Fans will have the opportunity to make contributions to The V Foundation through the purchase of limited edition glassware sets of Breeders’ Cup champions Goldikova (IRE) and Zenyatta and their record achievements over the past years. Each set contains three glasses for each horse. The glasses may be purchased through www.breederscup.com/charities.
"The V Foundation is a magnificent organization that is committed to finding cures for cancer and we are proud to partner again with them this year," said Tom Ludt, Breeders' Cup Chairman. "We have many devoted fans that support us and we want to give back to them by supporting an organization that helps so many in need."
George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports and a V Foundation board member, commented: "We sincerely appreciate the efforts and contributions of the Breeders' Cup community and fans. When we join together to make a difference, we truly have an impact."
The V Foundation will participate in the weeklong series of events at the Breeders’ Cup, both on and off the track in a variety of ways:
- An undercard race during the Breeders’ Cup World Championships will be named Jimmy V “Don’t Give Up…Don’t Ever Give Up” in honor of Jim Valvano’s legendary inspirational words.
- On-site merchandise sales benefitting The V Foundation
- Involvement with the Thursday kickoff Breeders’ Cup Winner’s Circle Celebration
- Activities on and off-site that will allow fans, corporations and private donors to participate in the fundraising efforts
- Digital marketing promotions
- Promotional activities surrounding the 2011 ESPY Awards
- Coverage of the charitable activity during ESPN/ABC’s telecast of the 2011 Championships in the U.S. and abroad and during the Breeders’ Cup Players’ (formerly Simulcast) Show
- Special auction items